Furniture is an art. You probably don?t think about it much when you are sitting at the dining table or lounging on your couch, but furniture is about way more than function alone.
If you are especially interested in architecture, art history, or interior design, you will find the following list of facts particularly fascinating.
Fun Facts About Furniture and the Modernist Movement
- Modern furniture refers to that which was produced from the late 19th century through today, influenced by the ?modernist style.?
- Modernist furniture is characterized by simple, clean lines as opposed to heavy pieces that are ornately decorated.
- Two of the earliest schools of modern furniture design were the Bauhaus and the American Arts and Crafts movement.
- One of the most iconic pieces of modern furniture is the Wassily chair, also known as the Model B3 chair. It was originally designed in 1925 by Marcel Breuer while he was head of the cabinet-making workshop at the Bauhaus.
- The modernist movement in art embraces discontinuity, disruption, and the unexpected, while rejecting realism and traditional values.
- Charles Darwin more or less invented the office chair. He was the first person to put wheels on an armchair to move around his office more easily.
- The first German Office Chair Racing Championship was held in Bad Koenig-Zell in 2009.
- The word ?sofa? comes from the Arabic word meaning ?bench.?
- The first sofa dates back to 2000 BC in Egypt.
- Other words for couch include ?Chesterfield,? ?davenport,? and ?divan.?
- The ancient Egyptians made some of the earliest known tables. They were little more than raised stone platforms used to keep food off the floor.
If you are wondering where to buy modern furniture, go online and check out the modern furniture stores in your local area. There are also countless websites featuring furniture from all eras and regions of the world.