The roofing projects in the neighborhood are nearing completion. And while there still may be many more neighbors who will get new roofs in the spring, the window for fall new roofing installations is about to expire. The constant hammering echoing through the neighborhood, the streets crowded with construction trucks, the driveways half filled with dumpsters will come to an end as well. For a few months anyway the neighborhood will look and sound like normal.
From new gutter installation to roofing repair and replacement, there are many times when contractors are in high demand, especially after a storm has made its way through a city. Finding the right contractor, of course, is important, but so is making sure that you have the right materials. In areas that are known for severe hailstorms, for instance, it is important to know that there are some very high end products that are more likely to withstand significant wind gusts and heavy hail impact.
Exterior Home Maintenance Remains an Important Part of Home Ownership
Roofing materials, new gutter installations, and even window and door replacements are just a few of the items that home owners need to be mindful of. When you make the biggest investment of your life in a home, in fact, the maintenance of that home is an integral part of protecting the money that you have spent and the future value of the home when you decide to sell.
Several kinds of roofing materials are options in many parts of the country, so working with a knowledgable local contractor can help you make the best decision when it comes to material choices. Curved slate tiles, for instance, may be the perfect product to deflect heat and keep a home in the southwestern part of the country cool, but they may be a poor choice in other parts of the nation where cold temperatures and heavy snows are more common. Likewise, metal roofs may have last the longest and be a perfect choice for commercial buildings and some residences, but there are neighborhoods that have a limited list of shingles that they will allow. Working with local contractors can help property owners make the most of this important decision.
Consider some of these facts and figures about exterior home improvements and the many ways that the right kind of roofing and other materials can add to the return on investment (ROI) of your home:
- Basic asphalt shingles will provide a home with a decent protection for at least 12 to 15 years for a very modest upfront investment.
- Home owners are most likely to repair roofs following weather damage. In fact, 65% said this was their main motivation in a recent consumer survey.
- An increasingly green decision, metal roofs typically have a minimum recycled content of 25%. In addition, these materials are completely recyclable at the end of their use.
- Although it can vary from one state to another, in Texas a metal roof can even lower a home owner’s insurance by as much as 35%.
- With their latest improvements, most newer roofs are built, or are supposed to be built, with materials to withstand snow loads of 15 to 30 pounds per square foot.
- Although the types of shingles have improved and increased, over the past three decades EPDM Rubber Roofing Membranes have stood the test of time with virtually no change in the EPDM formulation.
Finding the right kind of materials for any home project is important, but if you want to make sure that your home maintains its value it is especially important to invest in the highest quality shingles and gutters that you can afford. Providing protection for the rest of your home is important, so the best shingles are a worthwhile investment. Likewise, the best kind of gutter system will help you make sure that heavy rains will efficiently and safely be directed away from your home. History indicates that the first asphalt shingles were used in 1901, which means that they have been part of the American home landscape for over a century.
Fortunately, manufacturers are also developing new and improved products that still protect a home, but are far more environmentally friendly.