If you are considering getting a new roof for your home, you have a lot of options. One roofing material that is gaining in popularity is the metal roof. There are a lot of good reasons for this. Here are a few reasons people are turning to metal roofing:
- Metal roofing lasts a long time. If you get a traditional roof with asphalt shingles, you can expect to have it last anywhere between 12 and 20 years. That may seem like a long time but the average metal roof will be with you for at least 50 years. There are some metal roofing materials that can last as long as a century. The reason for the discrepancy is simple. Conventional shingled roofing is vulnerable to the elements and will deteriorate over time. Roofs with wood will decompose over time. Metal roofs hold up better to the elements and do not decompose. That is why they last so much longer than other kinds of roofing materials.
- Metal roofs are good for the environment. It is estimated that anywhere between 25% and 56% of a metal roof come from recycled materials. When this kind of roof reaches the end of its lifecycle, it is 100% recyclable. By comparison, most of traditional asphalt shingled roofing will end up in a landfill. Nearly 20 billion pounds of these shingles find their way to landfills every year, according to the National Association of Homebuilders Research Center.
- Metal roofing is very energy efficient. Metal roofing is generally approved by the Energy Star program because it is reflective. Whereas other kinds of roofing materials absorb the UV rays from the sun, metal roofing reflects it. That can reduce the temperature of the surface of the roof by up to 100 degrees. As a result, homeowners need to use a lot less energy to cool their homes. The reduction in energy usage for this can be up to 20% or up to 15% during peak cooling times. In addition to that, metal is one of the most insulating roofing materials around. In the winter, it keeps heating in to make it less expensive to heat a home as well. In the winter and the summer, homeowners will save money on their utility bills with a metal roof. Traditional asphalt shingles both absorb the sun’s rays themselves but as they are battered by the elements, they can also deteriorate to let more of those rays in and more of your heat out.
- You can get a tax break. Often, the federal government and various state government agencies offer incentives for homeowners to have a metal roof installed. This is because of how much energy can be saved with a metal roof vs. other kinds of roofing materials. Before you decide on a roof for your home, talk to local residential roofing companies to see if there are any tax incentives being offered to install a metal roof.
- You can get the exact style that you want. Metal roofs come in a very wide variety of colors and styles. Most homeowners are surprised to discover just how many different colors and styles they can get with metal roofing. This is one of the big reasons that these are becoming so popular. They can be designed to match any kind of architectural style and can fit in with any kind of climate. This is one of the more versatile roofing materials around. It can even be designed to look like other roofing materials such as slate, tile, shingle or cedar shake.
- These roofs need very little maintenance. It has been estimated that the owner of a home with a traditional roof will spend between 1% and 4% of the value of the home on roof maintenance every year. While it is a good idea to keep an eye on the metal roof, it pretty much needs to be cleaned off once or twice a year and that is about it. It is both easier and cheaper to maintain that other kinds of roof. This is one reason these roofs add so much value.
Metal roofs last a long time, look great and save money. That makes them really great for homeowners.