There are many advantages to having indoor carpeting in your home. Carpeting can warm up any room, cushion the feet, and absorb noise. It adds visual interest to any room with color and pattern, and can be a real statement piece. But aside from the many advantages of carpeting, there is one matter that many homeowners find to be a disadvantage: cleaning it.
Cleaning your carpet involves more than just vacuuming it. Certainly, regular vacuuming is the best way to avoid damage from dirt and grit, but carpeting requires a deeper cleaning in order to keep it looking its best.
But there’s no need to be afraid of cleaning your carpets! These simple carpet cleaning tips can help make the job a little easier for you.
Carpet Cleaning Tips
- Clean Once a Year – You should deep clean your carpets every 12 to 18 months, at the very least. High-traffic areas will require more frequent cleaning, especially if you have light-colored carpeting. If you have children or pets, you’ll want to clean your carpets more often as well.
- Test for Colorfastness – You don’t want your carpet cleaning solution to make the color bleed on your carpet, so your best bet is to test it on a carpet swatch that isn’t visible, such as carpet inside a closet.
- Be Gentle – Be careful not to vigorously scrub a carpet stain, as this could cause it to spread or set, as well as damaging the fibers of the carpet.
- Keep Cool – Using heat from an iron or a hair dryer on a carpet stain is not a good idea, as it could cause the stain to become permanent.
- Get an Entrance Mat – A doormat can make a huge difference in the cleanliness of your carpets. Supplying a place for people to wipe the dirt, salt, and grime off of their shoes as they enter your home will prevent much of it from making it to your carpets.
Hopefully those carpet cleaning tips helped make the carpet cleaning process a little easier for you. If not, or if you’d rather not try it, you can always turn the job over to a carpet cleaning company. Carpet cleaning companies are experts at dealing with various types or carpeting, as well as how to remove a carpet stain. They know the carpet cleaning secrets and tricks that will have your carpet looking great in no time. Read this for more.